Details on the Cupra Leon 2022 for Australia
Cupra will offer four versions of its Leon performance hatchback, expected to be priced in excess of $40,000 and available with powerful gasoline or plug-in hybrid powertrains.
Volkswagen’s own Spanish performance brand Cupra has released details of his new 2022 Cupra Leon Hot Hatch, which is set to be part of the automaker’s launch lineup this July.
Practically Cupra’s version of the Volkswagen Golf GTI, the Leon Small Hatchback is offered in a choice of four variants – V, VZ, VZe and VZx – from an entry-level 140kW petrol model to a 221kW/400Nm hot hatch and a super economical 180kW/400Nm plug-in hybrid.
Pricing isn’t expected to be announced until sometime next month, however details released last year suggest the Leon V will have a price tag between $40,000 and $45,000 before road costs – serves as an entry point into the Cupra Australia range.
More powerful variants are planned Crest $50,000 before road costs, with the 180kW petrol variant expected to undercut its under-skin mechanical twin, the $54,490 Volkswagen Golf GTI.
As reported last year, all Cupra models in Australia will initially be sold online and managed through a network of approximately 12 showrooms. Fixed, non-negotiable prices are offered – but the exact price buyers pay varies slightly between states due to differences in stamp duties and costs.
power supply to the base Leon v is a 140 kW/320 Nm 2.0 liter four-cylinder turbocharged petrol enginewhich drives the front wheels via a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission (DSG) for acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h in 7.4 seconds.
The middle specification Leon VZ increases the performance of the Leon V’s engine 180kW and 370Nm – matching the mechanically identical Volkswagen Golf GTI – shortens the 0-100 km/h time to 6.4 seconds thanks to the same seven-speed gearbox.
She sits at the top of the track Leon VZxpowered by an evolved version of the 2.0-litre engine from the V and VZ, Sending 221kW and 400Nm to the front wheels through a transmitted seven-speed auto, good for a 5.7-second 0-100 km/h sprint.
The headline variant will be that Leon VZe plug-in hybrid – the first PHEV imported to Australia by Volkswagen Group Australia, which also operates VW, Skoda and Audi – featuring a 1.4-litre turbocharged four-cylinder, 110kW/250Nm, 85kW electric motor , a 13 kWh battery and a six-speed dual clutch autom.
Combined exits are evaluated 180kW and 400Nmgood for a 6.7-second 0-100 km/h time, and 59 km the claimed all-electric range.
Standard features across the range include adaptive dampers, LED headlights and taillights, a 10-inch touchscreen, 10.25-inch digital instrument cluster, tri-zone climate control, cell phone charging and a full suite of active safety features.
Most models can be specified with optional leather upholstery, heated front seats, a power driver’s seat with memory, memory mirrors and a Beats sound system – features that come standard on the top-of-the-line VZx, which also adds unique exterior and interior trim.
Brembo performance brakes are available as an option on the VZx, with 370mm front discs replacing the standard 340mm pieces – although oddly enough it also looks like swapping the spare tire for a tire repair kit. A power sunroof is optional for the entire range.
A full list of standard features, available options, and colors offered can be found at the end of this story.
the 2022 Cupra Leon The range will go on sale in Australia this July. While the VZ, VZe and VZx will be available for “immediate delivery”, the first Leon V hatchbacks will not arrive in Australia until early 2023.
Standard features of the Cupra Leon V 2022:
- 140 kW/320 Nm 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder with seven-speed automatic dual clutch
- 18-inch black and silver sport wheels (with spare wheel)
- Adaptive dampers
- Progressive sports steering
- LED headlights with automatic high beam
- LED daytime running lights and rear lights
- Fog lights with curve function
- 10-inch infotainment touchscreen with wireless and wired Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and satellite navigation
- 10.25 inch digital instrument cluster
- Charging the wireless phone
- Heated leather steering wheel with shift paddles
- Cloth sports bucket seats
- Air conditioning with three-zone automatic climate control
- Keyless entry and start
- Illuminated door sills
- Four USB-C ports
- Driving mode selector switch
- Ambient interior lighting
- Rear privacy glass
- Rain-sensing wipers
- Automatically dimming rear view mirror
- Electrically folding side mirrors with heating
- Aluminum pedals
- Autonomous emergency braking with pedestrian and cyclist detection
- Adaptive cruise control
- Lane Departure Warning
- Lane Departure Warning
- Blind spot monitoring
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Safe exit warning
- driver drowsiness monitoring
- tire pressure monitoring
- Parking sensors front and rear
- 10 air bags
- Metallic paint (Nevada White, Magnetic Tech, Urban Silver, Midnight Black or Asphalt Blue)
2022 Cupra Leon VZ adds (above V):
- 180 kW/370 Nm 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder with seven-speed automatic dual clutch
- 19-inch black and silver sport wheels (with spare wheel)
2022 Cupra Leon VZe adds (via VZ):
- 180 kW/400 Nm 1.4-liter plug-in hybrid system with six-speed automatic dual clutch
- Tire repair kit (replaces temporary spare part)
2022 Cupra Leon VZx adds (via VZ):
- 221 kW/400 Nm 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinder with seven-speed automatic dual clutch
- 19-inch Performance Sport alloy wheels in black and copper
- Sport bucket seats in petrol blue leather
- Petrol blue dashboard
- Black side skirts
- Quad exhaust outlets
- Supersport leather steering wheel with heating
- Heatable front seats
- Electric driver’s seat with memory
- Memory side mirror
- Beats sound system with nine speakers (plus subwoofer)
The leather and sound pack, available for V and VZ classes, adds:
- Leather sports bucket seats
- Heatable front seats
- Electrically adjustable driver’s seat with memory
- Memory function for side mirrors
- Copper stitching on the dashboard
- Beats sound system with nine speakers
VZe buyers can choose a leather pack, which adds all the items included in the leather and sound pack without the Beats sound system.
Standalone options include:
- Electric sunroof (all variants)
- Brembo front brake package with tire repair kit (VZx only)
Available colors include:
- Nevada White Metallic (free)
- Magnetic Tech Metallic (free)
- Urban Silver Metallic (free)
- Midnight Black Metallic (Free)
- Asphalt Blue Metallic (Free)
- Petrol Blue Metallic (free, VZx only)
- Desire Red Premium (additional cost, V only)
- Graphene Gray Premium (surcharge, V and VZx only)
- Petrol blue matt (surcharge, only VZx)
- Magnetic Tech Mat (additional cost, VZx only)