– Countdown to the top DPA news of 2021
January 04, 2022
Happy New Year! From the world’s smartest face mask to the longest ride in an electric vehicle, here’s a countdown to the most popular items of 2021. What was your favorite?
10. Could this be the smartest face mask in the world?
The smart mask concept Project Hazel from gaming company Razer, presented at CES 2021, is perhaps the most technologically advanced and socially friendly face mask in the world.
9th International Girls’ Day: 17-year-old becomes McLaren CEO for the day
A 17-year-old youth activist became McLaren Automotive’s Chief Executive Officer for the day to celebrate International Girls’ Day and encourage young people, especially young women, to pursue careers in science and technology.
8. McLaren Racing accelerates the development of F1 cars through optimal use of materials
e-Xstream Engineering, part of Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division, has been selected by McLaren Racing to provide material data management for its Formula 1 cars.
7. Volkswagen ID.4 completes longest trip with an electric vehicle in a single country
Long-distance driver Rainer Zietlow and photographer Derek Collins drove through 48 US states in a Volkswagen ID.4 EV to prove their endurance and more than double the previous record.
6. The smallest, most detailed parts ever 3D printed
With the Tera 250 Micro AM technology, Nanofabrica has introduced a technology with which innovations and previously impossible manufacturing goals can be achieved.
5. Travel between Great Britain and France with ‘Flying Ferries’
Brittany Ferries is exploring the potential for a new fast, sustainable and efficient form of ferry transport called Seaglider.
4. The future of electric vehicle development
The widespread drive to reduce CO2 emissions has greatly accelerated electrification plans, generating unprecedented interest and investment in EV technologies. Before the next transportation revolution can really take off, however, global efforts must be made to overcome the material, technological and supply chain barriers that still stand in the way of widespread adoption.
3. The anatomy of the world’s first electric racing car
The world’s first electrically flying racing car has gone into series production. Airspeeder’s mission is to accelerate an emission-free, advanced air mobility revolution through intense athletic competition.
2. Carlsberg announces expansion of digital manufacturing solutions to 28 breweries
Carlsberg, which employs more than 40,000 people worldwide, has used PTC’s Digital Manufacturing Solution Suite to improve the performance of 28 of its breweries in Europe and Asia.
1. ABB sensor on board the SpaceX rocket to detect greenhouse gas emissions
An optical sensor manufactured by ABB was used in the successful launch of the Hugo satellite by GHGSat, the emerging market leader in greenhouse gas sensing in space.
Thank you for reading DPA in 2021. Your continued support enables us to ensure that you never miss out on the latest developments in engineering, manufacturing and technology. There is even more fascinating, innovative and exciting news in 2022!